Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Whittling down the list

My to-do list is getting slightly smaller. The only thing I crossed off yesterday was weeding the front flower bed, but that was a huge job and I was glad to finish it. Now I need to get some mulch. The herb bed hasn't been touched and is not nearly as  lovely as I'd imagined it would be. I'll post a picture after I tidy it up and mulch it, but it's still not what I'd envisioned.

In the meantime, here's a before-and-after comparison of the flower bed:

July 15, 2011
June 6, 2012

I'm beyond pleased with this project. I had no idea when we started how absolutely beautiful it would turn out to be. It's even prettier from the lawn side. Don't you agree?

July 15, 2011
May 15, 2012

This isn't much of a vegetable gardening year for me. The onions and garlic look great, and I put the tomato stakes out yesterday, although I haven't tied the plants up yet. I have 58 tomato plants, mostly Amish Paste but there are some other random varieties in there that we were going to get rid of at the garden center and they came home with me instead. I also brought home half a dozen already-started zucchini plants and found a spot for them.

The edamame didn't germinate very well, so I'll reseed and hope for the best, and buy new seed next year. I've been saving seed from my plants for a couple years but maybe it's time to start fresh again.

I'm trying to reconcile myself to the idea of not growing as much food this year. The good thing is the soil will be vastly improved when it's time to plant next year. And the other good thing is I have a couple friends who also garden who have promised to share.

I think I have time to cross another thing off the list before I go to work today. I'm working later than usual, but fewer hours, which is fine with me.

I'd love to spend an entire blog post on what happened in Wisconsin yesterday, but it would just make me sad and mad all over again. I'll just say this: The single most important issue in the United States today is overturning the Citizens United decision. The best way to do that is to re-elect President Obama, who will have the opportunity to replace at least two and possibly three Supreme Court justices.

It can't happen soon enough.

3 comments:

Winnie said...

Your garden is very lovely. I love reading your gardening posts, and seeing the pictures is a treat. I have two tomato plants here in NYC and 1 pepper plant..I am in awe of your amount! The kind I got is called July 4th (supposed to get tomatoes by then...we shall see....).

denise said...

The gardens are BE-U-TEE-FULL! So cool to see the before and afters - it looks like a showplace.

Diandra said...

You have got a beautiful garden!

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...