Thursday, February 6, 2014

Old Thomas knew whereof he spoke

The sovereign invigorator of the body is exercise, and of all the exercises walking is best. … No one knows, till he tries, how easily a habit of walking is acquired.                                                                                   ~ Thomas Jefferson
As both of you know, I'm a walker. I used to be a runner. I'd love to be a runner again. I try to pick up the pace a couple times a week and I do like interval training (I use the RunDouble app) very much.

But most of my 1300+ miles in 2013 were one foot in front of the other at about a 3mph pace.

Which is fine. Better than fine. Those 1300+ miles got me where I am today, which is within striking distance of a normal BMI.

And wearing size 10 jeans.

FOR ME, the combination of finding a way to eat PLUS all those steps resulted in the progress I've made. Just walking or just eating a paleo diet wouldn't have yielded the same results. I'm convinced of that.

For 2014, I've set a goal of 1500 miles. I'm already pretty far behind (thank you, Winter!), but just as I know that getting back to primal/paleo food basics is vital to my health and well-being (and weight loss!), I also know that I can catch up on my miles as the weather gets better.

In the meantime, my eyes and mind are wide open for inspiration and motivation.

Thank you, Mr. Jefferson!

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...