Sunday, August 10, 2014

Some things are falling by the wayside

As Election Day approaches – 86 days and counting! – my extracurricular activities are increasing. I feel like I've just started a job, and some of the things I used to do regularly, religiously even, are on the back burner.

I've abandoned photo-a-day. I still take photos most days, but I'm not following a list of daily prompts. Do you know how much time and brain energy this saves? It's not just going through my day thinking of a good subject, it's trying to think of a subject no one else will have thought of, because I'm competitive and want to stand out from the #fmsphotoaday crowd.

Then it's composing and taking the shots, because one is never enough, followed by editing (if necessary), captioning, hashtagging and, finally, posting.

It's exhausting.

I kid. It's not that hard, really, but all those steps in the process do take time. And lately my time has been spent elsewhere.

What's kinda cool is that I don't really miss it because I've been being creative doing the other things.

The daily walks have been every-other-daily recently, because of injury or travel or weather or what-have-you. We're in for a stretch of cool, cloudy days, and I shouldn't have much trouble getting back on track there. I do miss the daily walks. And the pain I experienced last Monday is completely gone.

Rest is good, people, rest is good.

Obviously the daily blog post has been pushed down on the priority list. I'm not one of those bloggers who plans ahead, writing and scheduling posts in advance. I think I may have done that a time or two, but mostly I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda blogger, writing when I have time and something to say.

My theory about why I have less to say lately is that I've been saying it out loud, in public, in front of or with other people. Real live people! (Not that y'all aren't real and alive, but there's not much of a dialogue between you and me through a screen.) Also, sometimes I feel as though I'm repeating myself when I sit down to write. If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram or Twitter, you already know what I've been up to.

For the most part, anyway.

The food has really fallen by the wayside, and I've really disappointed myself in that area. I'm doing more mindless eating, eating when I'm not hungry, eating because it's "time" to eat, eating what's handy, eating, eating, eating. It occurs to me, right this minute, that not blogging and eating more and eating inappropriately for my goals might be related. I can't promise to write more frequently here, publicly, but I think I'll begin food journaling again. It's proven to be helpful and will assist me in pinpointing the more-frequent allergic episodes I've had lately.

And I might just lose some weight in the process.

Hey! It could happen!

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...