Monday, September 8, 2014

A great perspective

And one I needed. So thank you, Debi.

In case you missed it, a reader left a comment on Saturday's post. Part of her comment was this:
None of this "back on track" business, because that feels like dietspeak to me. You are resuming the eating habits that really changed your life this last year and a half. 
And she's absolutely right.

My little break wasn't going "off the diet." It was an experiment, of sorts, a test. And I proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that, just as a diabetic needs to shun sugar, for me to enjoy my best possible life I need to avoid grains, dairy, sugar and legumes.

(Although I've not actually tested the legumes. I think I've had a couple small tastes of hummus in the last 17 months, but have not tucked into a bowl of bean soup or a peanut butter sandwich.)

It would be great if I could have used the paleo plan to restore my health and then been able to eat like a "normal" person, whoever that is. The truth is, the Standard American Diet (it's known as SAD for a reason!) made me sick, tired and fat. The paleo plan helped me regain my energy, got rid of allergies and helped me lose 40 pounds.

Also in case you missed it – and believe me, my Facebook friends made sure I didn't – is this article, supporting the reversal of the low-fat trend and disproving the theory that dietary fat causes heart disease.

If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you know I frequently say I'm going to #StickwithNick, my incumbent Congressman who is running for re-election. Well I'm going to #StickwithPaleo, as well.

As we say in AA, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...