Saturday, October 4, 2014

Frost warning! Already!

I saw a weather alert on my phone when I woke up this morning. There's a chance of frost tonight. The temperature right now (7:30-ish) is 52 – and that's the predicted high for the day.

You know what the first frost means, don't you?

Horseradish!

I still have some in the freezer from last year, and it doesn't hurt horseradish root to stay in the ground, so I'm not planning to process any tomorrow.

But I could!

I planted some in the herb bed – which will, next year, be a flower bed (I hope!) – and when I mowed everything down a couple weeks ago, the horseradish (and lemon balm and onions) popped right back up. Along with some reseeded cilantro, which was a pleasant surprise.

Fortunately this first frost is not the beginning of cold weather. The 10-day forecast is for pleasant weather with moderate high temperatures in the upper 60s and low 70s.

Pretty perfect, in my opinion.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...