Skip to main content

The penultimate day

Today.

Tomorrow.

That's it! Whole 30 will be done and dusted Thursday night, just in time for me to head out for a short trip on Friday.

Why would I want to change what I've been doing, since it works so well? The answer is, I don't. But moving from a strict Whole 30 to the less-challenging but basically the same paleo/primal plan makes it a little easier to manage when I'm not the cook.

Most people – I think, I'm not sure – who eliminate grains/dairy/sugar/legumes do so on an 80/20 basis. If they're compliant 80 percent of the time, the other 20 percent off-plan doesn't bother them. I try to keep that principle in mind when I'm not doing the cooking, but I think I've finally learned my gluten lesson. Since we are all our own science experiments, my conclusion for me is that grains – especially wheat – aren't my friend.

Also … why would I want to change to anything other than THIS for breakfast?
If we're not Facebook or Instagram friends, you missed my most favorite walking pictures so far this year. My friend Lynne and I used to walk on Indian Creek Road several times weekly. Yesterday, we did it again, for the first time in far too many months. It was SO beautiful – a perfect spring day – and we solved all the problems of the world in 90 minutes.

Well, at least in our little personal worlds.

The wild phlox was especially lovely, and walking alongside Indian Creek is almost as nice as walking along the ocean. Maybe better … we didn't get sand in our shoes.

Day 28 DONE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YES!

Update on the water: the circuit breaker tripped, either due to a power surge when the electricity came back on last night OR when lightning struck in the area. My neighbor's electric fence control box got hit in the same area. He was able to reset the circuit breaker for us and we have WATER! I think I'll go do a load of laundry. Heh.

And the winner is …

Kitten with a Whiplash, who left two comments and it was the second (which had nothing to do with the contest) which won the prize. Congratulations, and since the Kitten was the only commenter who expressed any interest in actually winning it, I'm so glad the Universe took care of it. Heh.

What a weekend! But first, how was yours? I hope you did some fun stuff and got some necessary stuff done, as well. It's all about balance.

Saturday was our fun day (but we had to drive, drive, drive to get there and then drive, drive, drive home again, all in one day, boy was I tired). We went to my husband's granddaughter's first birthday party. In addition to a sweet little doll, suitable for ages 0+ (meaning it has no parts that will come loose, and do you know how difficult it is to find dolls for babies when you live in the Middle of Nowhere?), I made her this:


I haven't sewn anything in a month of Sundays, so was a little apprehensive about finishing it on time, but this p…

It's all about the food

The dieting portion of this blog is temporarily suspended. Continue reading at your own risk.

If you’re going to throw a party, be sure to have good food and plenty of it. That’s my daughter’s philosophy, and I think it’s pretty good advice.

The members of the group who will be here Thursday night are middle-aged and older, so I think mostly traditional appetizers are in order. We’ll have Swedish meatballs and those little sausages cooked in a sweet-and-sour sauce, along with artichoke dip, hummus with vegetables and crackers, a bowl of cinnamon-spiced nuts and a fruit pizza.

Cupcakes are on the menu. Cupcakes sure seem to be popular these days – Google Blogsearch came up with 1,181,447 hits and amazon.com is selling a boatload of cupcake cookbooks.

Mine are plain old chocolate, and will be decorated with the words “Yes We Can” on top. I think some will be iced in blue and some in white, with red lettering.

I’m also making pig candy. I first had this at one of my daughter’s Oscar parties s…