Friday, May 15, 2015

Taking a zero

Thru-hikers on the Appalachian Trail call it "taking a zero" when they take a day off. They don't make any progress on a day when they kick back at a hostel or a friend's place or a hotel to rest, recharge and get some laundry done.

ZILCH. 0. ZERO.

I took a zero yesterday from mileage and steps, and spent most of the afternoon resting. My sinuses are killing me, my hip needed the rest, and the rest of my body apparently did, as well. I napped. I read. I played games on my phone.

What I didn't do was mow. Or pull weeds. Or dig up the garden. Or cook (thank goodness for leftovers). Or paint.

Yesterday would have been a perfect day to paint. But I need to be in the right mood for it, and my energy level is just plain empty. I need to …

rest.

recharge.

And do laundry? Nah, it can wait. Heh.

Because I just might take another zero today. Or I might not. Right now that's the direction I'm leaning toward, but the grass just keeps on growing, and we're in for a few days of rain here.

I wish I felt GOOD again. I just feel blah and worn out and tired, tired, tired.

This, too … I hope! … will pass. Sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...