Thursday, January 11, 2018

Every January …

My husband and I, every winter, say we're going to close up the house and go to the beach for a couple months. Or weeks. Depending on which one of us you're talking to. Last year we couldn't go because his mother was sick. This year we can't leave the dog, and she doesn't travel well.

It's always something.

Winter took a hike yesterday, however. It was warm enough to be outdoors without a jacket, and today will bring a high temperature in the 50s again, although it'll be cloudy. Yesterday was a glorious day to … go to the dentist.

Hah!

It wasn't as bad as I anticipated, however, and we are moving right along in Denture Adventure, the Sequel.

I signed up for a dental discount plan with very reasonable monthly premiums which will end up saving me about half the cost I was originally quoted for all the work I need done. I was so skeptical, for no reason, apparently. Maybe the dentist is inflating prices and the discount plan brings fees down to "normal." Whatever that is.

I've never had dental insurance and have always (fortunately!) been able to afford dental services as they happened. And I've had a lot of work done, including braces as an adult, root canals, periodontal treatment, a permanent bridge, cosmetic bonding, and an upper denture, along with routine cleanings.

But I'd much rather pay half the quoted fees than full price.

Since I'm home this January and since it's going to be mild and since my Tuesday walking-by-the-river date got cancelled due to ice, my friend and I rescheduled it for today. I've been consistent with the treadmill and not hating it, thanks to that resolution to read some of my Kindle books. I've almost finished this one. Trying to decide on the next.

Day 3 of the Whole 30 went well. Each successful day builds on the previous one, and I'm already 10 percent done and haven't been uncomfortably hungry except last night, because I skipped lunch. I would have eaten something mid-afternoon, but I was otherwise occupied in a dentist's chair.

I had planned ahead, though. Dinner was in the slow cooker when I got home and I didn't have to do a thing except fill my bowl.

It's not very kind of me to refer to the president as #PresidentSnowflake, but I can't help myself any more. He is coming apart at the seams, blaming everyone and anyone to see what might stick instead of manning up and offering to fully cooperate. And I think it will get worse before it's all over.

That said … be kind. And I'll try harder.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...