Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The benefits of aging

I have been on Medicare for more than a year now. My supplemental plan includes lots of benefits Medicare doesn't, many of which are preventive. My gym membership is free, which is pretty cool, and I found out late last year that I'd signed up for a rewards program that I promptly forgot about.

By the end of the year, I had enough reward points – even though I'd done very little to earn them – to "buy" a pedometer. The only reason I got it was to earn more points. I've had a FitBit that tracks my steps for a couple years now.

At the rate I'm earning points this year, I can "buy" a new FitBit – I have the clip-on kind and I've been wanting a bracelet – by the end of February.

I'm on it, doggone it! It's very motivating to me work for a little goal like this. Not so little, really. The retail price of the FitBit I want is $150. I wouldn't spend that much money on a device that duplicates something I already have that works. But I would definitely spend points on it.

Of course, there are disadvantages of aging, as well. Body parts wear out (and you don't have to be really old for that to happen, I realize that). I'm going to the dentist again today for the first step in replacing four teeth, one of which I think I could pull with absolutely no problem. Before the extractions happen, I have to have major scaling and planing (deep cleaning) on the remaining teeth which will eventually support the new partial denture.

Today is day 3 of the Whole 30. Yesterday's meals were on plan. Intentional activities also went well. Because of the dentist appointment this afternoon, I have to be super organized this morning in order to:

  • Get dinner in the slow cooker
  • Do a load of laundry
  • Clean the floors
  • Walk on the treadmill

I guess if I'm going to be on-it-doggone-it for today, I'd better get busy.

Don't forget to be kind. Today and always.

No comments:

Day Last

 Mike finished his chemo yesterday. The cumulative effects of four rounds beginning in early July are making him pretty uncomfortable, and t...